Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Master Plan of Evangelism

I am reading a book entitle The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert Coleman. This has been a wonderful study of the ministry and evangelism approach of Jesus. One of the ideas that has really stood out to me is the personal investment that Jesus made in the lives of the twelve disciples. He invested a great amount of time with them, being an example to them and instructing them on the ways of the kingdom. He said with conviction and passion, "I am the way, the truth and the life; and no one comes to the Father but through me" (see John 14: 6).

As a pastor, I am constantly looking for ways to better equip the church to do the work of ministry. I am bombarded with so many programs and studies on all topics, including evangelism. Each one promises to help bring people into the kingdom of God. I know that many have proven to be effective in leading people to Christ and for that I am grateful. But the church does not need another program. Jesus, and the disciples after Him, did not have a program…they gave of themselves. They took their experience with Jesus and introduced people to the kingdom of God.

As I have studied the early church in the book of Acts, I have noticed the same thing. They didn’t have a program or tool they used…they were the tool that God used to introduce people to Jesus Christ. And it did not stop with evangelism…it continued in the lives of new believers in Jesus Christ as they began to mature as Christians. Coleman writes:

“There is a lot of talk in the church about evangelism and Christian nurture, but little concern for personal association when it becomes evident that such work involves the sacrifice of personal indulgence. Of course most churches insist on bringing new members through some kind of a confirmation class which usually meets an hour a week for a month or so. But the rest of the time the young convert has no contact with a definite Christian training program, except as he or she may attend the worship services of the church and the Sunday school. Unless new Christians, if indeed they are saved, have parents or friends who will fill the gap in a real way, they are left entirely on their own to find the solutions to innumerable practical problems confronting their lives, any one of which could mean disaster to their new faith. “

The Master Plan of Evangelism, Robert Coleman

I have really been convicted by this simple understanding. I don’t need anything new…I don’t need a program…I just need to make myself available to share my story, my testimony, my experience in Christ with those around me. Beyond introducing them to Christ, I must help them to grow in Christ. I must be intentional in how I disciple people.

I don’t know about you, but I am at a point in my life where I want to do the important things for the Lord. I don’t want to waste any more time…I want to pour my life into my family and others around me to make an impact on the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment