Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Jesus' Obedience

S:  “Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.” “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” But they did not understand what he was saying to them. Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭2:47-52‬ ‭NIV‬‬

O:  I found these verses very interesting today.  Jesus was only 12 years old and was in Jerusalem with his parents for Passover.  They had completed all the rituals for the Passover and were returning home and Jesus was not with them.  He had gone into the temple courts and was speaking with the teachers of the law...listening and teaching them.  They were amazed at his words and the wisdom of his understanding.  When his parents find him, their comments were of concern as to why Jesus has left them.  Jesus gentle reminds them of his purpose, and even in though they did not understanding this completely, Jesus submits to their wishes and returns home with they.  

Then there is the statement that Jesus "was obedient to them."  The Son of God, who can incarnate to us on this earth lived in submission to his God's given earthly parents.  He could have stayed in Jerusalem and lived at the temple and continued his teaching ministry, it he chose to return home and live under the roof of this parents, loving them, learning from then and shaping his earthly character and rappor with those around him.  

A:  I never fully understanding the mind of God and the plans he has for me.  There are times when I am directed to do things that don't seem to make since (like Jesus leaving the temple has he was teaching and to go home with this parents).  But Jesus gave us an example to follow...to remain obedient to those in authority around us.  To live an upright and pure life before others.  

P:  Lord, give me the wisdom and grace to be obedient to you and see your plan in all things that are before me.  Help me to remains faithful to you in my dealings everyday wth people around me.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment