Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Fear of the Lord

S. "The church then had peace throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria, and it became stronger as the believers lived in the fear of the Lord. And with the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, it also grew in numbers." Acts 9:31 (NLT)

O. I have marked this verse before in my Bible, and I love it in this translation. First of all, the church had peace. The church was just at the beginning stages of it's existence, but had been in much turmoil. They reach a time with things seem to be moving along with some sense of stability and normalcy. When this happens, I believe that it is easier for us to see the goodness of God in our lives and we begin to trust him for all that has happened and is going to happen.
Here is the part I really love..."it became stronger as the believers lived in the fear of the Lord". I don't know that I have a good understanding about what it means to live in the fear of the Lord. Perhaps it is a place where we live under submission because of who God is...maybe it is a place were we seek the Lord daily...it is definitely a place where we give up control and surrender our will and lives for the good of the kingdom of God. If I can live in that place, and if the church can find itself in that place...the result will be grown of individuals and the church. Living in the fear of the Lord will mean that we don't live by personal preference, but by the will and decision of God.

A. Today, as I need to everyday, I want to find myself under God's hand and not my own. I want to live a surrender live today before God.

P. "Lord Jesus, break me today. If there is any wrong in me, break me, so that I might be found worth in your sight to be your servant. I desire to live in the fear of the Lord. I give my life to you today. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment