Monday, July 13, 2009

Two Faced

S. The leading priests picked up the coins. “It wouldn’t be right to put this money in the Temple treasury,” they said, “since it was payment for murder.” Matthew 27:6 (NLT)

O. This verse is very sad. Judas had accepted 30 pieces of silver in return for turning Jesus over to the Jewish authorities. But when it headed in a direction that Judas didn't like, he went and asked why they were condemning Jesus to death. Realizing what he had done, he throw the money back to them and in remorse went and hanged himself. The leading priests are the ones that amaze me in this story...the collect the money and say it is "against their law" to put the money back in the temple treasure because it was given for payment of murder! Why is it okay to pay for murder with money "from" the treasury and not put it back there?
First of all, it was God's plan for Jesus to be betrayed and eventually die on the cross...nothing could have stopped that from happening...and for my spiritual life, I am eternally grateful. My concern is the inconsistency of the actions of the priest. They are two faced...on one side they can pay for murder for their good, and on the other they can't accept the returned money. I question is this...how many inconsistencies are found in my life? I don't want to be a person...a pastor who lives in the realm of the inconsistent. I want to keep my life above reproach and focused on the truth of God in my life and my ministry. I want to lead a church that sees the important of living a consistent life before our community.

A. Again, this comes to a point of examination for me. I need to look hard at my life and find the inconsistencies that plague my life and ministry.

P. "Lord Jesus, you are the model of consistency. They kept the focus of your life on the things of God. I pray once again that you will examine my life and humble me where needed to allow my life to be truthful and consistent. Thanks for your presence in my life today. I love You. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment