Friday, January 1, 2010

First Response

S. "When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear...Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be." Luke 1:12, 29 (NIV)

O. Over the past few weeks, I have read these verses several times. It is always interesting to reread the story of people and events around the time of Jesus' birth. In these two scriptures, the angel Gabriel came to Zechariah and Mary (respectively) to introduce God's work in and through their lives. Zechariah and Elizabeth would be the parents of John the Baptist, a prophet who would prepare the way for the ministry of Jesus and Mary, who would birth the savior of the world, Jesus. What really stood out to me today was the react that both had to the announcement of the angel...they were fearful and troubled by the word of God for them. They both finally did accept their role in God's plan, but their immediate response was troubling to them. As I thought about this, I asked why they responded like they did. Was it because the angel just catch them off guard? Did the task seem impossible in their eyes? Was their a lack of faith on their part in response to the message of the angel? Maybe you could answer yes to all of these...they all could have been part of their reaction. But the more I thought about this, the more I wondered if it really mattered what their initial reaction was...because they eventually followed in obedience. Just some food for thought!

A. I know that I have responded in a negative or fearful way when God has called for me to do something, and I am sure that it will happen in the future. So what do I do? First, I work on accepting God's plan for my life...no matter what! I work on my first reaction to God's call in my life and do not question him. Second...I keep close tabs on the obedience factor in my life. All in all, I must be one who walks daily in obedience as I follow God.

P. "Lord, please be my guide and direction my life in your ways. Give me the strength to walk in obedience daily and not question your plan for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment