Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Repentant Heart

S. "Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” Luke 13:1-5(NIV)

O. I really found this passage interesting today. Here is what ran through my mind as I was reading this. These people are trying to get Jesus to say that are good...but really only on the merits (or lack there of) of other people. They thought they were doing pretty good since someone else has done worse or been punished more than them! This is just the opposite of a humble heart and attitude. Jesus quickly responds by reminding them they have a need to personally look at their lives and make certain they have a repentant heart before God. Jesus took their selfish attitude turned their action right back to them. How easy is it to have such an attitude toward others and never seem to look at your own life. On one other occasion, Jesus said it was like talking with someone about the speck of dust in their eye, all the while having a log sticking out of your own. We just look at our own hearts and make certain that we have dealt with our own sin and have repented and turned away from the wrong that we are not to do.

A. Today, I really don't want to judge others. I really want to make sure I am not intentionally criticizing someone else...and that I am dealing with my own life.

P. Lord, Make this a day when I can stand before you pure and holy...I am ready to serve you and offer my life for you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment