Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What to Say?

S. “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.” (Luke 12: 11-12, NIV)

O. For anyone who has every feared what they would say in defense of their faith, this verse takes away every excuse. The disciples had been sent out to spread the news of the kingdom of God and they were empowered to take this message. Jesus tells them that "when" they are brought before others...he doesn't say "maybe" or "if"...but "when". It was an inevitable fact that they would be brought before people that would have more education, more public speaking experience, more wealth, more prestige, etc. But Jesus was telling them that it did not matter...they would be given the words to say through the power of the Holy Spirit. Some people use this as an excuse to NOT be prepared...but I don't think we can use the presence and provision of the Holy Spirit for our word and arguments as an excuse to NOT be prepared. We still have to know what we believe. I recently received a letter from a person who had questions about faith in Christ. I have been praying for the right answer, but I have also been reading and studying to prepare an answer. It begins with my commitment to know what I believe and my commitment to be prepared to articulate that believe. We use the power of the Holy Spirit to strength us and guide us in our conversation. I think what really matters is that we actually stand up and articulate what we believe. The surrender of doing that will make all the difference in our witness and as we give of ourselves, God will surely work through us in the power of the Holy Spirit.

A. I guess the most practical application for me today is to be aware of what I know and they be bold enough to share the knowledge with as many people as I can.

P. Lord, I don't know that I have all the answers, but I do know that you can provide everything I need. I place myself, my logic and my story in your hands today and ask they you use me for your glory. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love this passage of scripture. For years, I never said a word in defense of my faith or in personal testimony. I had opportunities and allowed them to pass, rationalizing that if I spoke up, I'd say the wrong thing. Other times, I simply didn't want to put myself out there to possibly be scrutinized. I was afraid and insecure. But over time, I'm beginning to understand that when I'm given an opportunity to speak to someone about the gospel or about what God's done and is doing in my life, I'm not being given a task. I'm being given an opportunity.

    I find it almost funny that when Paul stood before a group a people, he almost always started out by saying, You won't believe how God has changed my life. I was the worst of sinners and God displayed his unlimited patience on me.

    Paul understood what I'm still trying to understand. That WHEN we have opportunity to speak about God with someone, it's an opportunity to show Him, in some small way, how grateful we are for all he's done for us. After all he's done for me, how can I not voice it freely? And He even provides me with the strength and wisdom to do it.

    I still don't really seek out opportunities to speak with people about my faith. But when they come, I'm finding myself more willing to take a deep breath and open my mouth in faith, know God will fill it.

    ReplyDelete