Friday, January 22, 2010

Showing Remorse

S. Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed.  The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times."  And he went outside and wept bitterly. Luke 22:60-62(NIV)

O. I can't imagine how Peter felt when he realized that he had done exactly what Jesus said he would do. I can't imagine what it would be like for Jesus to look me in the face after I had denied him and followed in disobedience to his call and word for my life. I can't begin to imagine the remorse and guilt and pain that was part of Peter's life…I just can't imagine.

And maybe that is precisely the problem…in my own life and in the lives of so many people. We just can't ever visualize Jesus looking into our eyes with a look of disappointment and discouragement. He has poured out his life for us and we just don't care to live for him. He has given us everything! And we just go on denying he is in our life and choosing to live in disobedience to his commands to love and forgive and be patient and accepting of other…to be non-judgmental of others and look out after our relationship with Jesus. We done everything to make a mess of our lives…and Jesus has done everything to make it all right again…and disown the very one who have saved us.

Perhaps the problem is more that we don't feel the remorse for our sin. And when we don't have remorse, we really don't see the need to be forgiven. It is a cycle that needs to be broken. We need to have remorse for our wrong and repent (turn away) from our sin…now and in the future.

A. Perhaps I need to spend a little more time in prayer…focusing on my the confession of my sin and seeking God's forgiveness.

P. Lord Jesus, please forgive me when I have failed you, my heart breaks as I look at how I have treated you and your gifts for me. Please take my sin…I turn from my sinful and evil ways and look to you as the source of my life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment