Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beyond Being Good

S."Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Mark 10: 21, NIV)

O. The entire story of the rich young ruler has always fascinated me. Here is a guy who is so intent on finding out how to be saved…he runs up to Jesus and falls down at his feet and asks, "What must I do to be saved?" (vs. 17) Jesus asked him about the law and whether or not he has kept the law…and he says that he has. But Jesus goes beyond the law and speaks of the radical side of following Jesus, "Sell everything you have and give it to the poor" (vs. 21), Jesus says, making sacrifice and following Jesus he focal point of the life we live. I have been studying the prison epistle of Paul and he spent time talking about Christ being above the law and the completion of the law. He taught that our salvation does not come by following the law, but by God's grace expressed through His Son Jesus.

I got to thinking how Jesus was trying to help people see this same thing. Living the law was good and created good moral character and "good people", but the law would always let you down…always will lead to condemnation. But there is no condemnation in following the way of Jesus…in giving of oneself in sacrifice and love. That is model of Jesus and it should be for us as well.

A. I really want to be more than a good person…I want to live my life with a passion to love Jesus and serve others for God's glory. I really want to offer my life in sacrifice for the advancement of the kingdom of God.

P. Lord, there are times when I am tired and don't want to move forward…when I want to focus on me and what I can do and what I want…help me to lay those things aside and surrender my life to you and the building of your kingdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment