Sunday, February 28, 2010

Discipline

This post is not really connected to my Life Journal reading, but I felt I needed to post something that was on my mind. Part of the Life Journal experience for me has been the development of a more focused and disciplined lifestyle. I don't consider my day started until I have spent time in the word, in prayer and reflecting on God's Word for me. The daily discipline of the Life Journal has revolutionized my daily devotional life and my personal relationship with Jesus Christ. And that discipline has effected other areas of my life.

Last June, I had back surgery and came out of that surgery ready and wanting to be physically stronger. I had 8 weeks of Physical Therapy after my surgery and started the process of building my strength back from surgery and began the process of become physically fit. In September, our family joined a local gym and I began working out about 3 times each week. As the weeks went on, I became stronger and stronger. I have always wanted to run, but just never seemed to be able to do it, but gaining strength slowly allow me the opportunity to start running.

On Thanksgiving day, I participated in the Turkey Trott run here in town and completed my first 5K. I had to walk a couple of portions of the race, but I finished. Two weeks later, I ran in the Jingle Bell Run and complete this 5K running. I was then set in my mind to do two more races in the winter...a 5 mile and 10k. After an ankle injury took me out of a race at the end of January, my mind set toward the 10K...which ended up being an 8k (4.7 miles). Yesterday, I participated and finished the 8k in 54 minutes 39 seconds. Two goals I had set for the day were to finished the race and finished in under an hour...both were accomplished. This would not have been possible without daily and week disciplines of regular workouts and good eating habits. These disciplines have made this all possible!

I guess this is one my mind because with discipline as part of our lives, we can accomplish much. The most important disciplines for me are the spiritual elements of my life and the relationships with my family and friends. I want to keep these in balance with my physical training as well. The apostle Paul wrote, "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance" (1 Timothy 4: 8-9, NIV). As a disciple, we must be disciplined in every way. God will give me the strength to do all that he asked me to do...providing in every way.

It is my prayer that I can live as a disciplined disciple of Jesus Christ daily. Thank you God for creating me in your image and for your glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment