Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life in the Spirit

S. "You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.." (Romans 8: 9a, NIV)

O. This is a truth so easily forgotten…that we are controlled by the Spirit of God and not by the spirit of the world. Too often Christians fall into a pattern of relying on their own power and strength to make it in this world. I am as guilty as anyone else. I have gone through seasons of my life when I thought that I could do everything myself. I tend to like to take control of things and not really give God the time of work in me or to release His power in me. But the scripture is very clear that if we are in Christ…we are not control by a sinful nature. That means I can turn from evil and resist any temptations that come my way…if I choose to allow the Spirit of God to be at work in me. Paul wrote to young Timothy, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of selfdiscipline" (2 Timothy 1: 7, NIV). I CAN live a Spirit controlled life for the glory of God! I just have to trust that God is going to be faithful and true to me!

A. There are times that I know I have not allowed the Spirit of God to control me. I need to keep myself reminded that in all things and at all times, I am a child of God and as a child of God I have the power of the Holy Spirit living in me!

P. Lord, thank you for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in my life. We your presence in me, I am free to be under your control and to live in your power. I yield my live to you today. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Allowing ourselves to be controlled by the Spirit I think is a struggle for every believer and it certainly is for me. I've been reading a book the last month called FORGOTTEN GOD by Francis Chan that I highly recommend. It's an easy to read book about the Holy Spirit and his role in our lives. In it he says...

    THE SPIRIT IS NOT A PASSIVE POWER WE CAN WEILD AS WE CHOOSE. THE SPIRIT IS GOD, A BEING WHO REQUIRES THAT WE SUBMIT OURSELVES AND BE LED BY HIM. THE STARTLING THING IS THAT WHEN WE ARE NOT TOTALLY TRUSTING THE HOLY SPIRIT WE ARE NOT TRUSTING GOD. THIS IS NO SMALL MATTER.

    That really helped put the truth I already knew sharply into perspective. I have so much to learn about the reality of the Holy Spirit but I'm glad I was reminded again today to allow my loving God to have control.

    ReplyDelete