Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sharing Provisions

S. "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? "

Isaiah 58: 6-7

O. I am sitting in my family room this morning...the Christmas tree lights are on the only lights on...it is quiet (accept for the coffee pot brewing!)...I am very content and happy and enjoying the lazy morning with all the comforts in the world. And then my phone rings and I am given information about one in need. I really don't know what it is like to be in need. I have been so blessed in my life...God has always provided and I have had more than enough all my life. As the need is explained to me, I realize that I will have to leave the comforts of my home this morning. As the thoughts of leaving this lazy morning behind goes through my mind, I read today's text. The kind of fasting and caring that God requires calls me into action. I am compelled to go and even more so after hearing God's words about the need to help others in their time of need. I am commanded "not to turn away from your own flesh and blood". I consider it a high calling to be used by God in my ministry. It is a joy to offer what I can to help those in need.

A. I am honor to be used by God today and every day.

P. God, I am constantly aware of your provision in my life. I open my hands and my very life and offer them for the building of YOUR kingdom. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment