Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Being Real

S. "...on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness" Matthew 23:28 (NIV).

O. This is a scary passage of scripture. Jesus spends the entire 23rd chapter of Matthew focused on the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. I must confess...I don't want to draw application from this chapter in the Bible. I don't want to think that there is any hint of hypocrisy in me...but truth be told, we call should feel some conviction when we read these words of Jesus. To APPEAR righteous is one thing and not necessarily what we are striving for as a Christian...to BE righteous is the goal. Jesus was calling for a pure, total commitment to following him and a unhindered relationship with God. I really want to live a life that is authentic. I want to be real with people about how I feel and what is going on in me. I have been trying to do this more and more in the past few months. It means that I might appear weak at times, that I might not have it all together. I think I am concerned more with "what will people think of me being me", instead of realizing that being real is important and knowing that God will provide everything for me life. If my mind is set on things above, I will be more concerned about my authenticity than appearing to be "OK".

A. When faced with the choice to be real and vulnerable or being fake...I will chose being real. I will remember that my relationship with God through Christ is the fuel for my life in every way. I will be real and open with my family and church members. I choose to be as authentic as I possibly can in all situations.

P. "Dear God, I want my life to reflect you glory and your work in my. Thanks for pushing me beyond the limits of my own thinking into your plan and purpose for me life. May your strength in my life give me fuel to live this day in your ways and not my own. Amen"

2 comments:

  1. Your life journal readings coincided with the purposedriven life devotional I received in my inbox this week!!!
    Good writings. By publishing this journal for others to read is a great example of striving for authenticity! I'm sure they'll bless .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying reading your blogs, but wow, writing about "being real" is not only a huge step of faith, but a giant step towards accountability. Leading by example, I like it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to post the same thing about myself on the internet. Keep me posted how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete