Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Defeating Giants

S. "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright". Psalm 20: 7-8

O. I have been singing this verse all morning! This is one of the songs from my youth that will always be with me. But I love the truth that comes from these verses. We can place our trust in things made of man, but in the end, it is the Lord who will always prevail. In 1 Chronicles 20, the story of David's army battling the Philistine giants is recorded. It says, "And there was again war at Gath, where there was a man of great stature, who had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot...and he also was descended from the giants. And when he taunted Israel (they) struck him down" (vs. 6-7). David faced many enemies, but was able to defeat them all as he continued to place his trust in the Lord. God was his strength and shield in times of great battle.

I am reminded that I can face battles of my own...giants of my own that can stand in my way...things like fear, lack of trust in my self and my skill, busyness that can keep me from doing the things of God, issues related to resources and finances, issues of allegiance and surrender...the list could go on and on. What I have to remember is that I have a power that is greater than myself as I face all the giants of my life. If I only trust in MYstrength and abilities, I will surely fall...but if I put my trust in GOD, who created me and has ordained all the days of my life, then I am assured of victory. I don't want to sound as if nothing ever goes bad or wrong in my life. Anytime there is a battle there is destruction and casualties...so I must trust God in the pain that comes with the battle and believe in the victory that is promised. For me, this is a constant choice...a daily decision to trust in my God.

A. I have been fighting a giant of trust and surrender in my life. Today I am choosing to believe that victory is at hand!

P. Dear God, let me close with your eternal word...with the beginning of Psalm 20 as a prayer for my life...
"May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob protect you!
May he send you help from the sanctuary and give you support from Zion!
May he remember all your offerings and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices!
May be grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans!" (vs. 1-4).

Thanks you God for the promises of your Word today. May my heart and mind be full of your promises and truth through this entire day!

No comments:

Post a Comment