Monday, May 4, 2009

Undeserved Kindness

S. "When Mephibosheth son of Jonathan, the son of Saul, came to David, he bowed down to pay him honor. David said, “Mephibosheth!” “Your servant,” he replied.
“Don’t be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will always eat at my table.” 2 Samuel 9:6-7 (NIV)

O. I have always loved this story of Mephibosheth. I have a hard time saying his name, but his story is one that gives us hope. Mephibosheth was the son of Jonathan and the grandson of Saul. If you remember, David and Saul had an adversarial relationship, but Jonathan and David were very close and held a deep love for each other. I believe this story shows the great mercy and love of our God. David wanted to bring some peace and restore some brokenness of his past, so he looked for someone from Jonathan's family to show the kindness and love of God toward. Mephibosheth would remain in the care of the King for the remainder of his days, eating at the King's table and enjoying a prosperous life.

When I think of this story, I can't help but think that this is the story of my life. In my brokenness, God calls to me to come and sit at his table. Everyone is broken by sin, but through the love and kindness of our mighty God, we are bring into the riches and blessings of God. Through God's son, Jesus, we have redemption of sin and the hope and promise of eternal life.
I am thankful for all that God gives to me each day!

A. If God has shown me such kindness and love, I ought to show the same to those around me. One practical application is to take each opportunity we are given throughout the day and accept someone in the some kindness and love that has been shown to you.

P. "Lord, thank you for reaching down and picking me up and placing me at your table in a position of honor. I receive your gift and humble walk in your way today. Thanks for your abiding presence in my life. Fill my heart with the same love you have shown to me, so that I might be your hands and feet to those around me today." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment