Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Strength for the Weary

S. "There was war again between the Philistines and Israel, and David went down together with his servants, and they fought against the Philistines. And David grew weary. And Ishbi-benob, one of the descendants of the giants, whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of bronze, and who was armed with a new sword, thought to kill David. But Abishai the son of Zeruiah came to his aid and attacked the Philistine and killed him. Then David’s men swore to him, “You shall no longer go out with us to battle, lest you quench the lamp of Israel.” 2 Samuel 21:15-17 ( ESV )

O. There are times when I get tired...weary from ministry and from all the things that are part of life. No one is ever completely free from dropping their defenses in the weariness of life. David's life and leadership of Israel was phenomenal. He was a might warrior, a great leader and as the Bible says, he was "a man after God's own heart." He pursued man in great battles on land, but his most important pursuit was after the heart of God. I am always impressed by all that David did and all that he was as a leader...but there were times when he grew weary and let his defenses down. The story of David and Bathsheba reveals a weakened said of David. He let down is grade and the results were agonizing for him. And in the text today, David when out to battle and in the midst of facing another giant...he grew weary. Sure he had the experience of defeating at least one other giant (Goliath)...and really more than that...but he was weary at this point in time and needed the strength of others around him. I was struck by the reality that David has surrounded himself with strong men...men of might, men of valor...and men who had David's safety and security in mind. They were watching his back...so that when he got weary, one would come to his aid.

A. What a great lesson for me to hear today. I need to surround myself with people who know my heart and who helping to guard my heart and my life.

P. "Almighty God, you give strength to the weary and help those who are beaten down to raise up. You are a God who supplies all my needs according to your riches in Christ Jesus. Today and in the days ahead, set the right people around me. You have begun to do that...and for that I say thank you. My I always rely on Your strength when I grow weary from ministry and life. Lead me in your ways. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment