Saturday, June 20, 2009

Stealing God's Glory

S. "So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha’s house. Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, “Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed.” But Naaman went away angry and said, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than any of the waters of Israel? Couldn’t I wash in them and be cleansed?” So he turned and went off in a rage." 2 Kings 5:9-12 (NIV)

O. I am so convicted at times when I read God's Word. This story of Naaman is a great story that I have read many times. Naaman wants to be cleansed of his leprosy, so he goes to see Elisha. Elisha tells him exactly what to do, but Naaman doest like what he hears. I think want really stood out to me was his attitude today. This was not the way the he though things should go...he seemed to feel that there was a better way for his leprosy to be healed. I am so guilty of this. I get in my head what I think should happen and/or needs to happen and if it doesn't go that way I don't like it...and sometimes I get a little bent out of shape (maybe I should write angry). That is not the way I should respond to things in my world. If I trust in God who is bigger than me and who has divinely ordained all my days...why would I question the way certain things would unfold. This world is not about me...it is about God. The end result was Naaman's healing, but at what expenses. Follow the plan God laid before him from the beginnng would have left people with a better picture of Naaman. Unstead, people probably left the situation with a tarnished view of Naaman. Maybe they would remember his anger more than the healing, when I'm sure that God's purpose in the healing was to bring him glory and honor.

A. I really don't want to draw attention away from God. I really want people not see me or recognize me, but see God at work in my life. I realize that my position as pastor is very visible, is I will be on my guard daily to represent the Lord Jesus Christ and allow my life to be a beacon of light for Him.

P. "Lord Jesus, I am humbled to be your servant. I really desire to direct people to you alone. I come to you humbly and ask that you accept my life and service render in your name. I love you Lord. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment