Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Main Thing

S. "But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42 (NLT)

O. This is a popular story in the scriptures. Mary and Martha are expecting a visit from Jesus and Martha starts getting things ready...cooking, cleaning and more. When Jesus arrives, even though preparations are not complete, Mary sits at the feet of Jesus and soaks in time with him. Martha is upset and asks Jesus to get Mary back to work...and then the verse above.

After having back surgery earlier this summer, I have not been able to work in the yard. The weeds in our landscaping and as big as our shrubs. I have to walk by this every day and it really bothers me...but I am learning that this something that doesn't matter in the long run.

At times in ministry, I can get so caught up in the details of doing things for God that I don't spend the time focused on my relationship with Jesus. Here is the deal...there will always be something to do, but the doing of things for doing sake is not the best thing. One day we will be judged on what we did the God's son Jesus. Did I really get to know him? Did I make my relationship with him a priority? Jesus said that what she had chosen would never been taken away from her. So the question is this...will I spend time on things that matter or don't matter.

A. I will continue to see things that are important in my relationship with Jesus. I will focus my life on my relationship with Jesus Christ.

P. "Lord Jesus, I want to know you more...I open my life to my relationship with you. I love you, Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment