Saturday, August 1, 2009

Be Prepared

S. "And when they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not be anxious about how you should defend yourself or what you should say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.” Luke 12:11-12 (ESV)

O. The excuse used most often for not witnessing and standing up for one faith is "I don't know what to say!" These verses take that excuse away from us all. Jesus is speaking to the disciples in this passage and telling them that they will be sent out and that they will be called before the rulers and authorities, but that when they are, they are to stand firm in the truth that they know about Him. They would be given the words to say.

This does not mean that we don't prepare. The disciples had been with Jesus, talked with him, listened to his teaching, they had questioned him about certain things. They were prepared. Too many times, people are not even prepared to defend their faith with the truth of God's word. They don't have within them what they need to say. Jesus taught about the Holy Spirit...
"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26, NIV). We learn and then we go and the Holy Spirit works in both areas.

A. I have been thinking about how to be more bold in my witness for Christ. One of the things that I must do is keep my eyes focused on Him, continue to read and prepare myself and then work in the strength and power of the Holy Spirit wherever I go.

P. "Lord Jesus, I pray that I can be a strong, bold, effective witness for you. I surrender my life to your will. I love you Jesus!" Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I feel I am prepared for the nonchristian who has never
    met God---it feels relatively easy to flow words of how God made himself known in my life... But to defend him in a literal scientific sense--hard prep.

    ReplyDelete