Thursday, August 27, 2009

Restoration

S. In the thirty-seventh year of the exile of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the year Evil-Merodachbecame king of Babylon, he released Jehoiachin king of Judah and freed him from prison on the twenty-fifth day of the twelfth month. He spoke kindly to him and gave him a seat of honor higher than those of the other kings who were with him in Babylon. So Jehoiachin put aside his prison clothes and for the rest of his life ate regularly at the king’s table. Day by day the king of Babylon gave Jehoiachin a regular allowance as long as he lived, till the day of his death. Jeremiah 52:31-34 ( NIV )

O. I love these verses that are the conclusion of Jeremiah's prophecy. They are words of hope and words that refer to the anticipated restoration of Jerusalem. Jehoiachin is released from captivity after 37+ years. He is given some of his dignity back by removing his prisoner clothing and sitting at the kings table. Why are these verses given to us? What do we hear this this act of kindness and mercy? I believe it is to reassure each of us and for me personal to be reassured of God's love and mercy and that in the end he will bring restoration. How many times have I been down when there seemed like no way out. I'm sure those in captivity had a hard time seeing beyond their circumstances. They were held in a foreign land, in a culture that was very different for them...in a place where idol worship was revered over worship and the true living God. They were stuck and didn't know if they would ever get out. I have felt that way before...a seemingly hopeless situation. But we have a God who is in the restoration business. We have a God who can see the entire picture of our lives...so that requires a bit of faith in the future, even when we don't see the outcome. This story has a great ending...we know that the people of God returned to Jerusalem, rebuilt the temple and their homes and began "life" once again. I must have the same hope and faith in my God who knows my life and circumstances. I just believe that there is a great reward for me in eternity and in my life here on earth. I must trust in a God who knows me and knows what is best for my life. What a God I have!!!

A. Today, I choose to look beyond my circumstances and see the restoration that God has for me. Today I choose to look at life from God's point of few and seeking his plan for my life today and everyday.

P. "Lord Jesus, I am overwhelmed by your presence in my life today. I am so grateful for your provision and guidance in all that I do. I am so thankful for the hope that I have in you and in you alone. Be my guide today and everyday. I place my life into your hands and ask for your peace as I hold on to your plan and purpose. I love you, Lord." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment