Friday, August 21, 2009

Walking in His Steps

S. "...He is your example, and you must follow in his steps." 1 Peter 2:21b (NLT)

O. I love this verse. I have in Jesus Christ an example of how to live my life. It is my prayer that my life will be an example of love and forgiveness and integrity just like Jesus. However, I know myself and many times I don't come close to being an example of Jesus' life. I struggle just like anyone with selfishness, pride and arrogance, and I don't like it. It is a constant struggle to devote my life and example to the way of Jesus. But I don't think that I am alone in this struggle. It is probably the struggle of every christian to strive to be like Jesus.

So how do I do this? How do I "follow in HIS steps"? First, I must surrender daily to Jesus Christ. My will, my thoughts, my actions, my desires all need to be in the hands of Jesus. Second, I must surround myself with people who can hold me accountable and encourage me in my walk with Christ. Third, these two steps force me to live my live in intention. There should be no haphazard following of Jesus...we must follow him with intentionality and with courage to face each day for Him.

A. I choose this day to surrender my life to Jesus and to follow him in all that I do.

P. "Lord Jesus, I give you my life and ask today be a day when others see Jesus in my. I pray that through my life, others will see something different than the world offers and that I will have an opportunity to share of your live and grace with them. I love you Lord, Amen."

1 comment:

  1. In a way, it's reassuring to me that I have Jesus as an example to follow in how I should live. And in another way, it's discouraging to think that I will never be able to live up to the example of Jesus. I'm hopelessly flawed. Then, I came across these two passages this year and I love them because they've been a HUGE encouragement.

    2 Peter 1:3-4: "His divine power (that would refer to the Holy Spirit)has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." Hear that? We, who were born with a sinful nature, get to participate, or share, Jesus' divine nature. In other words, because we posess the Holy Spirit, we can do things we never thought possible.

    Also, John 14:12: "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." It's one thing to have a glimmer of hope that we could (because we share in the divine nature of Christ)be like him in ways we never dreamed... but do even greater things? He cannot be talking about you and I... can he? It's hard for me to wrap my mind around, but if Jesus said it, then I cannot disregard it.

    Lord, help me to remember that to be like my example, Jesus, I have to really know Jesus- and the best way I know how is by reading about him in your Word.

    ReplyDelete