Thursday, October 8, 2009

Expanding My Faith

S. "When Jesus returned to Capernaum, a Roman officer came and pleaded with him, “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and in terrible pain.” Jesus said, “I will come and heal him.” But the officer said, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed." Matthew 8:5-8 (NLT)

O. I love this story. I think that it speaks in huge volumes that our christian faith is to be. The officer has heard about Jesus and most likely has seen him heal some people with different illnesses. He speaks to Jesus about his servant who is very sick and Jesus offers to go to his home. But the officer has faith that is great...and he tells Jesus to just speak of word of healing and his servant will be healed. WOW! He believed in what Jesus could do...and he lived that our through his words and actions. Later in this passage Jesus said, "I tell you that truth, I haven't seen faith like this in all the land of Israel." (vs. 10).

I believe that many of times when I don't exhibit this kind of faith. I want to see that things are being done in a certain way and I want to have my hand in the outcome of things or I want to see for myself what is going to happen. Faith in believing in what we cannot see... (see Hebrews 11: 1). It is a confidence in what God can to and says that He will do. It is trusting in the one who is greater than me.

A. I really need to expand my view of what God can do. Too many times I get caught up in what I can do in my own strength.

P. Lord Jesus, please increase my faith in what you can do. Broaden my view of who you are and allow my life to be a reflection of your truth and grace to the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment