Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Awe and Fear

S. "Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and all that night the LORD drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land. The waters were divided, and the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground, with a wall of water on their right and on their left." Exodus 14:21-22 (NIV)

O. Wow! What an incredible journey it must have been to travel through the river on dry land! I can't imagine what it would be like to walk with huge towers of water on each side of you. My guess is that there would have been a sense of awe among the people and as feeling of fear…wondering if the wall of water was going to fall in on them. Those two emotions, awe and fear, are often found together in our lives as Christians. I really need to be in awe as I look at the things that God is doing in my life…as I see His handy work in so many areas I need to be amazed and awestruck with all the He is doing in and around me. But so many times I just walk through each day and don't really notice.

As I walk through life, I wonder how many times God has parted the waters for me. How many times has He opened a path for me to walk and held the waters of discouragement and disappointment back…the waters of emotional or relational trouble? These verses have just reminded me of God's constant presence in my life…hiding my way and protecting me from not being or doing all that he wants!

A. Today, I will look for God's hand of protection to be with me. I will be attuned to God's awesome work in my life, noticing the hand of God guiding me in all ways.

P. Lord, I stand in awe and amazement today. Thank you for all you have done and for all that you will do in my life. May my life be filled with a holy "fear" for you and your goodness each and every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment