Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grumbling & Complaining

S. "The whole Israelite community set out from the Desert of Sin, traveling from place to place as the LORD commanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink.  2So they quarreled with Moses and said, "Give us water to drink." Moses replied, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you put the LORD to the test?" 3But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. They said, "Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?" Exodus 17: 1-3, NIV

O. It is so easy to start grumbling! At least it is for me. I don't get something that I want, something doesn't go my way, I get frustrated at times with others and with myself and I start to grumble. When I read this today, it struck me odd that the people who had complained about being in slavery in Egypt…the very ones the scripture says God heard and responded too…now having been delivered are now grumbling (complaining) about how much better they used to have it.

This sometimes is turn for those who give their lives to Jesus Christ. I have talked with people who say life was easier before they gave their life to Christ. To be honest it probably was easier! Follow Jesus Christ, maintaining a vibrate, meaning relationship with Jesus Christ is not an easy task. It requires time and effort and it will mean that some things will be different. Instead of complaining and grumbling about having no water and looking back on how much 'better' they had it in Egypt, the Israelites should have focused on their new freedom and been part of the solutions themselves. They could have look for water or dug a well or even said to Moses, "Let's figure out what we can do about finding a water supply." Moses was being led by God, being obedient to do all that God asked him to do and I believe the Israelites should have been helping him to be obedient to God and been part of God's continued work through Moses and the people of Israel.

I guess the bottom line is this…be content where you are, with what you have, knowing that God has brought you this far. Look around at how you can be obedient to God in your present life situation and be faithful to do all that you can for the Lord.

A. Whatever comes my way today I will not complain! This will be a true test as to how content can be with the situations that God places me in today.

P. Lord, I know that you offer to me everything in this life that I need…please continue to develop in me an attitude of contentment and joy in all that I encounter. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. When I read this today, I immediately thought of a song I heard a few years ago by Sara Groves called Painting Pictures of Egypt. She's talking about how we may be far removed from a difficult time and place but that often we look back longingly like the Israelites did. Her lyrics say

    I've been painting pictures of Egypt
    Leaving out what it lacked
    The future seems so hard
    And I want to go back
    But the places that used to fit me
    Cannot hold the things I"ve learned
    And those roads closed off to me
    While my back was turned

    So I think the reason the Israelites were complaining was because they made a fatal mistake that if we aren't careful we are in danger of making too. THEY FORGOT HOW BAD IT FELT TO BE A CAPTIVE. They must have only had romantic notions of having food and shelter in Egypt. How tragic that they took their freedom for granted. And yet, I wonder if I do the same thing at times. If I'm not careful, I could grumble about my Christian life and long for the old days. But like the Israelites I was a slave back then and now that I've tasted freedom in Christ I'm NOT going back. Even if it means wandering around and getting a bit thirsty on the way to my Promised Land.

    ReplyDelete