Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Following Jesus

S. "When they heard all he was doing, many people came to him from Judea, Jerusalem, Idumea, and the regions across the Jordan and around Tyre and Sidon.9 Because of the crowd he told his disciples to have a small boat ready for him, to keep the people from crowding him.10 For he had healed many, so that those with diseases were pushing forward to touch him. " (Mark 3: 8-10, NIV)

O. This section has a subtitle that reads "Crowds Follow Jesus". I don't know how many times that I have talked about following Jesus or coming after Jesus or the cost of following Jesus, but today I was struck by a very disturbing thought. Here it is…Many people follow Jesus on for what they can get out of Jesus! That may not be a profound thought but it is one that struck me in a huge way this morning. The context of the story is that people were following Jesus to be healed, to listen his teaching, to get in on the "in" action of the community. They were literally walking around trying to stay close to Jesus or get close to him. But I don't think that is what following Jesus is all about. Another time, Jesus said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" (Mark 8: 34b). I truly believe that following = giving and sacrifice on our part. It is not about getting, but serving and loving and offering our lives to be a conduit of God's love and grace.

Too many people are just in the habit of getting from Jesus and the church. They come to church with an attitude of "what can I GET out of the service or Bible study, instead of "what can I give to God and others around me today". When we place focus and emphasis on this attitude and get it in the right, I believe that God will begin to God do so many good things. It will result in moving our eyes outward in thought and focus rather than inward. It will put us in a position to not only receive from God, but also we will be able to GIVE to the work of God in people's lives.

A. Today I will receive and then give God away. I will continue to preach and teach that following Jesus is more than just receiving from Him.

P. Lord, help me to truly follow you in all that I do…with all my life…and all my heart. Amen

1 comment:

  1. well said. It is hard sometimes-to be "fed" spiritually...we always look and think and wait for Jesus to enter us..as we sit in the pew...open a bible...or sing a hymn. All good ways to find the benefits of following Christ but you are so right--I always find and feel him the strongest when I'm serving or giving or actually DOING something. And I admittedly still struggle with the fact that it doesn't have to be something big..its as simple as scooping the soup, changing a diaper, washing a table, applying a bandaid, listening... etc.-just showing LOVE to others in some of the simplest ways

    ReplyDelete