Saturday, February 20, 2010

God's Provided Strength

S. "Just before dawn Paul urged them all to eat. “For the last fourteen days,” he said, “you have been in constant suspense and have gone without food–you haven't eaten anything. Now I urge you to take some food. You need it to survive. Not one of you will lose a single hair from his head.” After he said this, he took some bread and gave thanks to God in front of them all. Then he broke it and began to eat. They were all encouraged and ate some food themselves.37 Altogether there were 276 of us on board." (Acts 27: 33-37, NIV)

O. I am amazed at the amount of respect shown to Paul by the sailors and other prisoners on this ship. What an incredible witness that Paul is to them. I love the imagine of Paul, in the midst of the storm, stopping to offer a meal and to pray. I see this as a sensitivity to the physical and spiritual needs of those on board the church. They needed physical strength to make it to shore alive and they needed to see the miracle of God working through Paul. Do you think that maybe there was a miracle of loaves here. Luke records they ate, and most likely ate til they were full. The miracle of their lives being preserved is incredible! Paul could now give glory to God for their safety exodus from the storm...giving God the praise for their lives being saved.

How often in the midst of a storm do I quickly rely on my own strength...when I really need to be dependent on the strength only God can give to me? I need to see that God offers me His presence and strength daily for the tasks that are before me. His strength has no limits and know no boundaries...it is for us to use freely and unconditionally. What a joy to know our God give to us all that we need?

A. There are things in my life that I am trying to accomplish without the Lord's help. Today, I choose to open my life and heart to the Lord's will and strength for me.

P. Lord, thank you for all that you do for me. Thank you for giving me the strength to face the ups and downs of today. I love you! Amen.

1 comment:

  1. In the Wednesday night Grow Group, we are reading about Moses and the Israelites in the wildreness. This week we read how God provided for their physical needs by providing Manna each morning.
    I've read this story many times but I was reminded of a timeless truth about God's provision. He could have made the manna appear right on their plate in their tent. But instead he chose to have it appear outside spread across the groud. This made it necessary for the people to participate. Yes God provided for their needs but they had to slip on their sandals and robes and go out to get it.

    Like you said, its tempting to try and accomplish things on our own. But its so much better when we let God provide for us. We just have to remember that all we need is right outside our tent.

    ReplyDelete