Thursday, February 4, 2010

God’s Word

S. "8The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart.   The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 9The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. 10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. 11By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward."
Psalms 19:8-11 (NIV)

O. I love the Word of God…I am just at a point in my life when I cannot do without it. I crave reading God's Word every morning. My morning it just not complete without it…I feel out of sync when I miss that time…I just love it! But I must admit I have not always felt that way. There have been times in my Christian life…even as a Pastor when I did not read God's Word for my personal growth (by the way, this is not something I am very proud of…in fact for me it is/was hypocrisy)! Anyway, today it is different. I have found that when my personal relationship with Jesus Christ is right, then my life is more in balance…notice I didn't say everything was perfect…it is far from perfect, but it is more in balance! I believe it is in balance because God's word and his precepts (truth) give this journey of life more meaning and clear focus and vision. God's Word illuminates the right and good path God has planned for me. More than that, God's Word gives my life instruction to say on the right path. The best about God's Word is the reward…the peace I feel in facing each day with God and on his path. That is the best.

So, I keep reading and writing about God's word. I keep applying all the truth that I learn and I keep focused on my relationship with Jesus Christ, making Him take a more prominent role in my life. The Apostle John said, "He must increase, I must decrease" (my paraphrase of John 3: 30).

A. There are two applications from today…keep reading and keep applying!

P. God, thank you for your life giving Word. May my life be filled and lead each day by your Word. Amen

1 comment:

  1. This scripture reminded me of something we learned from our 6 week series last summer called In The Dust Of The Rabbi. We learned that in ancient times, Jewish children were introduced to God's word at a very young age and memorized large portions of the text. At that tender age of 5 or 6 years, the rabbi would seek to develop in the child a proper attitude toward God's word. One thing they would actually do was put honey on the end of the scroll. Then they'd have the children touch the scroll with their finger and put the honey to their lips. It was a way for them to learn that God's word was always SWEET. Isn't that interesting?

    To my knowledge there are no Bible studies out there today that involve eating sweets as part of the lesson! But I'd still love to have a more ravenous appetite for reading scripture than eating chocolate. I know its possible!

    ReplyDelete