Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Asking for Wisdom

S. "Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?" (2 Chronicles 1: 10, NIV).

O. This is the greatest request that Solomon every made of God. When God promised him anything he asked, he could have asked for wealth or position or power or a number of other things…but he didn't. It kind of reminds me at a genie granting three wishes…you have to be careful what you wise because you might run out. Solomon got one chance and made a great request.

As I have reflected on his request for wisdom I have been prayerful about my own requests from God. I sense that Solomon was at a loss as to what to do or how to lead or how to make right decisions, so I was going to rely on God to give him what he needed. He has watched the people of Israel follow God and fall away from God….he had heard of their disobedience and stubborn nature through the years and know that he alone could not lead this people. I have felt the same feelings at times. Not that the people of Pea Ridge are disobedient and stubborn…but they are all human and as a human, myself included, we have faults and quirks and opinion…I could go on and on. So, I have been reminded that a prayer for wisdom and knowledge is not just a onetime prayer. It is a prayer as a pastor and leader that I can lead with Godly wisdom. I am sure I can do some things in my own strength, but only God can lead me and His people to accomplish his purpose and will.

A. I really think I need to continue in pursing my relationship with God. When I work out of God's agenda and out of his presence, I know that I can lead in wisdom and strength.

P. "Thank you God, for calling me in this position of leadership. Give me wisdom through this day and every day as I follow after you. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment