Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don’t Be Ashamed

S.
"Is this your son?" they asked. "Is this the one you say was born blind? How is it that now he can see?" "We know he is our son," the parents answered, "and we know he was born blind.21 But how he can see now, or who opened his eyes, we don't know. Ask him. He is of age; he will speak for himself."
His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jews, for already the Jews had decided that anyone who acknowledged that Jesus was the Christ would be put out of the synagogue.
" (John 9: 19-22, NIV)

O. This is a wonderful story. Jesus encounters a man who has been blind since birth. He heals him and then there is much discussion about his healing. The Pharisee called his parents in to get a report from them about their son. They are really trying to catch Jesus and to condemn anyone who claims that Jesus is the Messiah. Part of the problem is the fact that this healing occurred on the Sabbath. The Pharisees question the parents and they say that they don't know how this happened.

As I read this, I was confronted with the fact that many times I don't acknowledge all that God has done in my life. The parents had spoken with their son, but because of fear of the Pharisees and fear of punishment from them, I don't think the parents tell what they really believe. They know that their son was born blind, and I am sure the know that they have seen a miracle, but they don't say so! How many times have I done the same thing? How many times I have been afraid of the reaction that others might have about my belief in Jesus Christ and His power in my life. Am I ashamed of being found in Christ? Am I more concerned about human acceptance rather than give God proper acknowledgement and praise for what He has done and is doing in my life?

As the apostle Paul wrote, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes" (Romans 1: 16a, NIV)

A. I really need to become bolder in my witness of Jesus Christ. I need to take a stand for him in all that I do. I know that I have a fear of rejection and ridicule, but I must not let fear be my guide…I must be faithful to acknowledge God's work and presence in my life. It begins with understanding that I have the power of the Holy Spirit in my life…to guide, to protect…and for me to honor with all my heart.

P. Lord, Give me a bold witness and character for you! I want to stand and speak unashamedly for You…now and always! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment