Monday, November 15, 2010

The Holy Spirit

S. "Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." (1 Corinthians 2: 10-12)

O. The role of the Holy Spirit is often misunderstood in people's lives. The Spirit first of all indwells every believer, to search us and to give us wisdom in all things that we do and say. The Holy Spirit is a gift given to each believer at the moment of salvation and is a gift that will never be taken from us. We can quench the Holy Spirit and grieve the Holy Spirit, but we will always be indwelt by the Holy Spirit. There is so much more that the Spirit does in our lives. The fact that we have the very presence and power of God in our lives should be enough to keep us on guard as to how we live our lives and how we respond to people around us.

A. I am thankful for the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life. I choose today and everyday to live as one who is full of the presence of God through the Holy Spirit. I will keep my mind, my mouth, and my heart pure as I allow the Spirit of God to lead in my life.

P. Lord, you have given me a great gift in the Holy Spirit. I accept your gift and choose to allow your Spirit to lead me in every way! Amen

1 comment:

  1. I believe that the role of the Holy Spirit is misunderstood in people's lives because it simply isn't taught much in the church.

    We teach that God is our heavenly father. We teach the life of Jesus very well and we understand that he is our model for living. However, Christ himself said in John 16 that it's better for him to leave the earth and for the Holy Spirit to come.

    Jesus spent a great deal of time acknowledging the Holy Spirit so why don't we teach more about this person of the Trinity? Because its hard to understand? Because it seems charismatic?

    I need to KNOW that I have God's presence and power in my life every moment of every day just to hang on. Doesn't everyone? Its like having buried treasure in our front yard for decades but it goes unnoticed. All we have to do is scratch the surface to see how rich we are.

    ReplyDelete