Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Anticipating the Presence of Christ

S. On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise him, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he had been conceived. When the time of their purification according Law of Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male is to be consecrated to the Lord”) Luke 2: 21-23

O. Have you ever waited for something to happen? I remember as a child waiting for Christmas to come...waiting on a ballgame to start...waiting for school to be finished...and more. This was great anticipation and a sense of long for the moment to arrive.

While this scripture seems to be a very normal scene...Joseph and Mary taking Jesus to the temple on the eighth day for his circumcision and the blessing of the priest for his life...there is much more behind the scenes.

Simeon is the priest who is on duty and he has been
"waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him" (vs. 25). He had faithfully served the Lord, knowing that one day he would see the Messiah. Can you imagine his joy when Jesus was brought to the temple? He must have been so filled with joy and hope in the truth of all that God had promised. Another person, a prophetess name Anna. The scripture says "Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem" (vs. 38). She worshiped and fasted daily in the temple and she sees in Jesus the completion of God plan...the fulfillment of prophecy which had been spoken for many years. Both Simeon and Anna must have been overwhelmed with the work of God in their lives.

A. I guess the truth and application I found this the stories of Simeon and Anna is that the God who was at work in their lives to bring before them the salvation of Israel in the person of Jesus Christ is the same God who is at work in my life today. I asked myself the question today, "I am waiting in anticipation of when Jesus could come into my life and do a work of faithfulness in me?" During this season of advent, I really want to open my life to receive the Christ child anew in my life.

P. Lord, I am so glad to celebrate the first advent of your son Jesus Christ. I love this time of year and it is my prayer that because of Jesus' first advent, I might live complete in your love, forgiveness and strength every day. I open my life to the transforming power of the Spirit of Christ in my life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment