Thursday, December 2, 2010

Doing What Gods Asks

S. When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus. (Matthew 1: 24-25)

O. Today's reading was the first chapter of Matthew. In this chapter we have the genealogy of Jesus. I find it very interesting that it includes kings and priests and slaves and ordinary people. People who found life in following their God and walking with him through ups and downs of life. And then there is Joseph. A simple carpenter who was learning his father's trade, carrying on the family business and looking forward to a quite normal and average life in Israel. And then comes the angel...telling Joseph exactly what to do and how things would happen. This was quite a diversion from his planned life, but he had enough trust and faith in God that he followed in obedience to "did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him...".

A. I have been reflecting this morning on how I react to things that God calls me to do. Am I quick to follow in obedience when God calls, or am I prone to put it off and hope that it is not really what will happen? I want to say the I am obedient, but I also know that there are times in which I fail to follow the Lord. The reality is that God has planned our days and we just need to trust in him and follow obediently through this life. I know that we will be blessed as we do.

P. Lord, today is a new day to follow your call for my life. I completely surrender my will and my life to you today. Use me to bring your love and life to those around me. I am yours Lord!
Amen

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that you mentioned geneology. I wonder if Joseph was TAUGHT to obey and to do it quickly. Did he see that in his own father? In his mother? In the Godly men in his life? If you've spent more than 5 minutes with a child you know that quick obedience is NOT natural. It MUST be taught.

    I wonder if how I live my life in action and words is displaying that principle because I know that I TEACH others every day whether I like it or not.

    ReplyDelete